1. Kiowa girl. Photographed 1890.
2. Photo of Hopi women by Edward S. Curtis, circa 1906
3. Sixapo (aka Black Plume, aka Long Mane) - Blackfoot (Kainai) - 1895
4. Beaver Tail, Stony Brave, British Columbia
5. Ansel Adams - Navaho Girl - Canyon de Chelle - Arizona - 1941
6. Hattie Tom, a Chiricahua Apache (1899).
7. Three Lakota boys on their arrival at the Carlisle Indian School
Yes, these are images of Native beauty. But as they’re bounced around the tumblrverse, please take a minute to read about Edward S. Curtis and Carlisle Indian School. There’s a lot more to these images than meets the eye
[This blog post] featured photographs by Edward S. Curtis—infamous white scumbag red face practitioner. Curtis received $$ from Harvard to document what he believed to be the “vanishing race” and would dodge & burn the photographs (particularly of watches, certain clothing) to fit his imaginary “vanishing native” look. Post-colonial scholars have gone into his negatives to find that he really went out of his way to print portraits with solemn expressions—that is, even if someone smiled the majority of their sitting, he would select one sad look because he believed that he was documenting the end of a race. Yes, that is how stupid and arrogant he was. He thought he would be the great white man to capture the sad beauty of a forgotten people. For these reasons, it’s important for us not to celebrate his prints & his curation. The world should demand to see the archive, the negatives, unaltered, watch filled—full of expressions he did not approve. — viasunyah